Friday, July 30, 2010

Flower Pots at Starbucks

I planted two big pots of flowers at Starbucks. I thought we needed some beauty and nature in the cement world that the where the Starbucks store is set on Hwy 23. WOW, has it helped the morale of employees and customers.

I often ask the customers if they have noticed the flowers and how beautiful they are. "What flowers?" they say. "Hello, the two big pots right outside the door!" "Oh," they grin, and often come back in after they have left and tell me they are beautiful.

The employees meticulously water and take care of the plants when I am not working and often give me a report on how they are doing. If you think about it, it doesn’t take much to enjoy life. Just stop and see the beauty of life around you. That’s what I love about the call to treat every vessel as sacred in the Rule of St. Benedict. The beauty around us is sacred; the call is to notice. Check out the next flower pot you find on your way and smile at God’s sacred imagination.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your green thumb...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need quiet to notice the beauty around me.

    ReplyDelete