Thursday, July 22, 2010

Markout of Mercy

Yesterday, I went to Starbucks to pick up a pound of coffee for Sister Mary David Olheiser with a gift card she had received. When I went to pay, I explained that I was buying coffee for a 92-year-old Sister at our monastery. The Starbucks partner at the cash register said, "I want to donate my pound of coffee this week to this Sister."

What is it in this partner that inspired her to give her pound of coffee away to a Sister she doesn't know? What about the partner who donates her pound of coffee every week to the soldiers in Afghanistan? The goodness of God that dwells in all of us shines through the many touches of mercy we give one another. Give away the goodness of God today.

The Rule of St. Benedict says, Listen with the ear of your heart and respond with a markout of mercy for those around you.  (Note: "markout" is the term Starbucks uses for the coffee that employees get each week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment