Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Nature is a Unique thing



(Photo by Karen Streveler, OSB)
It is amazing this time of the year to watch the lush green leaves that blossomed with the summer warmth and rain change to a brilliant color of red, orange and yellow as the crisp coolness of fall comes upon us. Squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits that were so abundant are now a little more sparse as they gather food and prepare to settle into their winter homes. Birds have started their descent to the south. The days have gotten shorter and warmer attire has been pulled out for the next several months. And soon the leaves will fall to the ground leaving the trees barren, ready for the winter and then spring when there will be new life again. Fall is a time of such transformation. It is a great time to walk in the woods, listen to the leaves under your feet and listen to what it tells you about your own process of growth and transformation. As the trees are saying goodbye to their green, letting go of what has been, we too have our moments of surrender, with all their insecurity and risk. Our Sister Adelia has shared two short stories about how things in nature have touched her too:


When visiting my friend, I chose to sleep on the sofa not wanting to misplace my friend from her own bed. Sadie the little dog worked so hard to be my friend. After being settled for the night, Sadie hopped on me and I was startled and knocked her down. She looked at me sadly and ran to her owner. When she came back to me, I said, “Sadie, I am so sorry.” The next day she hopped on my lap and I could tell we were friends again as I massaged her back. I am sorry can heal a broken relationship.



Standing on a sidewalk under a shade tree, I noticed a tiny bird trying to get a bug to eat. After several unsuccessful attempts to get past me, he travelled quickly past me and zip, he had his meal. One needs to take risks. If you really want something badly, take a risk like the bird did!

 

Adelia Sirek, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment