Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Benedictine Blessings with S. Mary Jane

Tonight at 10 o'clock, a group of sophomore women from third floor, and I will meet to pray together before everyone settles in for the night. Last week about sixteen of us gathered at the top of the stairs on the third floor and prayed Compline, an ancient night prayer of Benedictines. This prayer asks God to protect us through the night so we will rise ready for another day. We also add our own special petitions for loved ones.

I just love being involved in this precious time with these young women of Lottie Hall. I have lived alongside them for all of seven years, and this is the first time they have asked me to pray with them. In the past, I have offered a program of Lenten Devotions or Advent Preparations, but they were hesitant about joining me.

Living in Lottie Hall with mostly sophomore women, I enjoy the everyday rhythm of dorm life. These young women have as many programs and activities in their residence halls as they have through student activities. Therefore, when they asked if I would be willing to pray with them, I eagerly found time to be with them. More than once they have indicated that they like my presence among them, and have told me that they were excited when they found out that a Benedictine Sister lived Lottie. I am very happy to not only make my presence known but also to answer the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment