Thursday, October 1, 2020

Lost in the Desert

Photo by Boris
Ulzibat from Pexels

Moving her hands through the grains of sand, she spread the pile on a small table and announced that it was a desert. Picture that. Then she asked, “Does the pandemic make you feel as though you are wandering in a desert? Do you feel lost? Alone? Parched?” Yes, I thought. No matter which way I look or how far into the future I dream, all I see is the desert.

“Turn to Isaiah,” she said. With her fingers, she made a straight line through the sand on the table and said, “God provides a way through the desert. God will make a way for us.” Then she made a wavy line through the sand to remind me that God provides streams in the wilderness.

Pause in your trudging across the desert expanse and read from Isaiah. Ponder the words in chapters 33 and 45. Keep watch for the highway and the river. Find hope in Isaiah’s refreshing promises.

Marge Lundeen, OblSB

No comments:

Post a Comment