Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Day Lilies and Peonies

Pink peonies in the monastery dining room.

When I spotted day lilies blooming today, I knew I was going to have a feast for my eyes. When day lilies start opening, peonies may be showing their gorgeous pink frills already or will be very soon. Oh, what delight!

Isn’t it just masterful that flowers have such magical timing—so much so that each receives its due? Each bloomer is spotlighted, if you will, and receives its own stardom for a few days. If you watch carefully, you will notice that this well-orchestrated showing is perfectly timed throughout the summer and into the fall, until asters and chrysanthemums begin to dot the garden while temperatures change announcing that fall will be coming soon.

As signs in nature tune us into the season’s swiftly changing days, so too, can we see the subtle changes in one another.

For example, I begin to wonder if her hair is becoming whiter every day, or did she dye it? Does her gentle smile seem to be more frequent? Is her step slowing down? Her peppiness must mean she’s content. In realizing that the external traits of people obviously change, especially when I take the time to notice, I realize that the internal traits are subject to change as well.

So, does that means that the internal work is God answering my prayers and helping me to change at the same time?

I like to think so.

Mary Jane Berger, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment