Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The LIGHT of God's Presence

Photo: Karen Streveler, OSB
Recently I read a commentary on how we can find God in our ordinary places. It made me think a bit about how often I see God among some of the persons I connect with every day. Many of us have been delighted to discover God in familiar or unexpected persons and places. It got me starting to think of what I might be invited to consider as a Lenten change of heart. I started going through the litany of Lenten possibilities: patience, listening quietly to criticism without retaliating or losing my temper, choosing time for kindness over being so task-oriented that I’m really am not available for a small gesture that might make a world of difference for one lonely person.

I realize that I’m more than a bit hesitant to honestly name one specific attitude or behavior which is “less than how I want it to be.” If I’m willing to do it, it likely needs more specificity about what the opposite behaviors/attitudes would concretely look like. That’s where the persons around me that possess those transformed behaviors/attitudes might give me a small road map for guiding my desire to change. I can keep watching for it in persons around me. After I’ve I see it, how much courage would it take to stop them soon after I’ve witnessed it to make a simple comment to them about what I saw and why that made a difference for me? Maybe each time I name that behavior/attitude in another, it will become more embodied in me. Then both me and the other person may have received more “LIGHT for the path” forward.

Mary Rachel Kuebelbeck, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment