Tuesday, February 5, 2019

It Takes Courage to Grow Up


Recently, I came across a quote by E.E. Cummings that caught my attention: “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” I read this and thought how true it is. I knew it went beyond the physical growth, something we cannot control; our body simply changes.

In my opinion, this quote refers to spiritual growth along with believing in yourself. It is about saying “yes” to God, which does take courage when you listen to God through prayer. I have experienced in the past that through my commitment to prayer, I am continuing to deepen my relationship with God. I am also learning to believe more in myself, thus, I find the courage to try something new. My prayer is an act of faith; it helps me believe in myself and whatever God is calling me to do. So, every day I can grow by simply or not so simply letting go. By letting go and moving forward in my life journey, I am preparing and discovering the courage of growing up that E.E. Cummings is referring to. And yes, in my opinion, it is an act of courage to let go of the familiar and step out of my comfort zone into the future.

If you would like more information about Saint Benedict’s Monastery, please contact Sister Lisa Rose at lrose@csbsju.edu.

Lisa Rose, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment