Wednesday, October 11, 2017

My Day in the Woods


A solo butterfly

a busily searching bee

and numerous bugs

kept me company today.

Oh yes, and Meister Eckhart, the mystic

         who sees everything from the inside out.

I asked him: “What if the world were not here?”

“What if I could experience God

         through my inner eyes too?”

(Photo by Karen Streveler, OSB)
“Would God, then, not have created

         this butterfly? this bee? these bugs?

         or, for that matter, green grass? colorful flowers?

         blue sky and water? invisible breezes and swaying leaves?

         ordinary birds like robins, sparrow, swallows?

I can’t imagine knowing God without this world of nature.

For me, the way to God is along a wide path lined with

         color and design, movement and life, invitation and delight.

So why, Meister Eckhart, do you ask me to surrender

          unneeded boundaries as I walk, limp, run or leap for joy?

Though I think I may understand when you say:

          The Father laughs

          and gives birth to the Son.

          The Son laughs back at the Father

          and gives birth to the Spirit.

          The whole Trinity laughs

          and gives birth to us.

So are you saying ‘boundaries are not needed’ if we are ONE?”

Renee Domeier, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment