Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Climbing the Rock Wall


S. Lisa Rose climbing a rock wall!
Have you ever climbed a Rock Wall?  This past summer I had the opportunity to climb a rock wall with some of the campers at our 3g camp (Girls, God and Good Times). As I watched the first group of climbers I thought, “I want to do that.” With this moment of courage leading me on I geared up in the special shoes and harness, then went to the meet the Belay. The belay is the individual to whom you are tethered for safety as you climb the wall. The belay guides you from below as you climb to the top.
After a few instructions, I was ready to start the climb. I had a hard time getting started and was almost ready to quit, then I said to myself, “You can do this.” During my third attempt I was on my way up the wall. I had a group of campers cheering me on from below, along with the belay who was calling out secure areas to place a foot or hand. Halfway up I felt a little nervous, asking myself, “Will I make it?” Then I felt a surge of energy that whispered, “You are almost there, keep going.”  In the end, I was unable to get that last good grip three feet from the top, so the belay began lowering me to the ground. The belay and the campers cheering me on during the climb helped me stay focused.
We all need people cheering on as we try something new. Without my cheerleaders, I may have given up, yet they helped me succeed in doing something I can now check off my bucket list.
If you would like more information about Saint Benedict’s Monastery please contact Sister Lisa Rose at lrose@csbsju.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment