Tuesday, April 18, 2017

April Showers Bring May Flowers


Dogwood photo by Nancy Bauer, OSB
April showers bring May flowers; do you remember this catchy phrase? April showers moisten the earth; this moisture nurtures the soil preparing it for the planting of seeds. Recently after a conversation with a friend, I found myself comparing her tears to the April showers of life and transitions. In her April tears, she is on the brink of becoming a May flower, a flower of personal growth. She began to cry right at the beginning of our conversation. I was fearful of continuing. Asking myself, “Am I ready to hear what she has to say?” As I listened to her, the tears she shed were a mixture of love, pain, sorrow, and joy. In other words total confusion. I knew I could not fix the confusion so I simply listened as one story after another unfolded in front of me. As the tears lessened and the conversation was nearing the end, I shared words of support that seemed to relax her. I perceive her tears as those of preparation, for her, to step boldly into her future. To be the May flower I see within her, she will have to get through the April showers in her life. Most likely, we have all experienced our own April showers. We have learned that through faith we all become a May flower when we listen to God. If you would like more information about Saint Benedict’s Monastery please contact Sister Lisa Rose at lrose@csbsju.edu.

Lisa Rose, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment