Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Greetings from our BWSC Volunteer


It feels like forever since I’ve last blogged about my experience here in Bristow.

First, I would like to give a quick teaching update:

I’m still teaching low beginner, and low intermediate English. Within this past week I started a new teaching position as a technology facilitator. Essentially, our program is integrating the use of technology with learning English. I’ve found that many of my students know how to use their cell phones, but don’t know how to use a computer. Things like exiting out of a browsing tab, or simply typing in a web address are all things my students struggle with. Therefore, my job is not only to teach English, but to teach my students certain computer skills that even I take for granted.

(Mo is pictured second from the left)
Secondly, I would like to share my experience at the Women’s March in Washington D.C:

Last Saturday, Bethany and I attended the Women’s March that took place in Washington, D.C. We attended the march with Sister Julia Abdala, Shelly Kreykes who is an oblate, her husband John, and their two daughters Janelle and Mariam. I remember waking up that morning asking God for protection. I’ve participated in protests in the past, all which have been peaceful. However, I did not know what to expect at the Women’s March because our nation is extremely divided right now. I know many of the sisters worried for our safety because the day prior to the march, a riot broke out where individuals decided to torch cars and smash windows of businesses in downtown D.C.

It was truly a blessing that the march remained peaceful. In all honesty, I was quite surprised as there were over 500,000 people in attendance. It was refreshing to see people of different backgrounds uniting for a common cause.
While I was happy to see many women fighting for what they believe in, I couldn’t but help have conflicting feelings about being there. You see, before our group actually arrived to the march, we had to go on a little adventure called the metro transit! There were literally thousands of people trying to make it to downtown D.C. via the transit. As I was surrounded by many people who couldn’t help but invade my personal bubble, I thought what a gift it would be if all of us could come together to protest on behalf of all human rights. What would the impact be if all these people banded together to protest when unarmed black men were being gunned down; when Donald Trump referred to Mexicans as drug dealers, perpetrators of sexual violence, mocked a reporter who suffers from a mental illness or referred to all Muslims as potential terrorists? So while I marched in solidarity for gender equality, I also want to promote the rights of the many marginalized groups in our society who are still not being heard. Being an advocate for all injustice is the way to resolve this problem. I believe that we shouldn’t let a problem directly affect us before we feel inclined to do something. We should stand in solidarity with all of humanity. After all, Martin Luther King, Jr., said, “In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends!”

Peace,

-Mo


No comments:

Post a Comment