Thursday, September 10, 2020

We've Only Just Begun

 

The St. Benedict statue in Sacred Heart
Chapel, taken by Sister Nancy Bauer

We’ve Only Just Begun – Song by Roger Nichols

As September begins, I, and many Benedictines begin worldwide, our rereading of the Rule of Benedict. I’ve been reading the Rule for 66 years, at least. If I was faithful, this would mean I’ve read it and reread it about 200 times. I’ve read books and books about the Rule and the Be medicine way. I’ve gone to countless Benedictine conferences and retreats. I’ve been affiliated with Benedictine communities and of late, Saint Benedict’s Monastery for the last 34 years. Yet, Tuesday, when I read the prologue, “Listen carefully, my child,” once again I was thrilled. Thrilled to begin again. Benedict later on in the Rule tells me, “Always we begin again.” We are not finished. As the song says, “We’ve only just begun.” I believe love is like that. We are all beginners in love. That gives us a patch of eternal life. It’s not just one thing after another. It is about one who loves us into being. And God is not finished. Nor are we. Always we begin again.

Charles Preble, OblSB

No comments:

Post a Comment