Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Voracious Reader

Photo: Fish-eye view of a bookshelf, taken by Sister Nancy Bauer

When I discovered reading, there was no stopping me. I was one of those kids who hid in the closet at night, thinking my parents wouldn’t realize I had the light on in there so I could read. Alas, my mother had X-ray perception and always knew what I was doing. I thought that if I was okay being tired the next day, that was my prerogative, but mom thought otherwise. She was also irked when I forgot the sugar in the banana bread I was baking for supper or burned the beans while cooking and reading at the same time. Even so, I was not deterred. I found other ways to read about exciting worlds and places beyond my narrow existence (at least I thought it was narrow!).

Ah, yes, even though I loved reading at an early age, I have only become fonder of it over time. I read almost every genre but am especially drawn to mystery (I try to solve the mystery before the end of the book), murder mystery and crime fiction. However, I’m also fond of the latest books to hit the bestseller list. I like to make my own judgment as to what makes a “bestseller.”

Fiction seems to draw me more than nonfiction because I love the characters authors create. I experience deep emotions and cry mega-tears when something tragic happens. Of course, I have my favorite authors who become almost like friends when they keep producing the characters and adventures I love. I wait with bated breath for their next book. Biographies are excellent nonfiction choices, however. Truthfully, I dismiss nothing that my eye falls upon and seems intriguing because I can always expand my horizons. Actually, I love all that I can potentially learn from reading!

Mary Jane Berger, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment