Thursday, November 14, 2019

Listening in Silence

Photo: Nancy Bauer, OSB

On account of the importance of silence, let permission to speak seldom be granted even to perfect disciples.” Rule of Saint Benedict

I first visited a Benedictine monastery in 1954. What struck me most was the gentle and relaxed silence of that place. There were designated times and spaces where one did not speak. There was nothing unnatural or spooky about it. I soon was accustomed to it and I began to relax.

I had come home. In Saint Benedict’s Rule, he writes, “On account of the importance of silence, let permission to speak seldom be granted even to perfect disciples.” Wow! Even to “perfect disciples.” Benedict knew that one of the needs for community is time when we do not speak.

My wife, Jana, and I do not live in a monastery, but silent love is the foundation of our life. Of course we have plenty of time to converse, but it is godly silence that binds us. It is silence that binds us in a very human relationship and holds our words. Benedict writes, “Listen, my child, to the precepts of the master, and incline the ear of your heart.” This wonderful, astounding word, “Listen.” We cannot truly listen without the gift of silence. We cannot hear God except in silence. We cannot truly hear another person unless we have learned to listen. One of the most loving things we can do is to learn to live in silence so that we may listen with love. Benedict knew this so well. Even the perfect disciple needs silence to listen. I know if community is to abound, we need silence. Only with God’s silence can we hear one another.

Charles Preble, OblSB

No comments:

Post a Comment