Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Grandma

Photo: Pexels.com

What are some memories you have of your grandma? I remember how different my two grandmas were, one more fragile, the other active and strong, yet both were faithful women who loved their families and grandchildren. My mom is grandma to 19 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. They are the light of her life and vice versa. When the older ones call to visit, it brightens her day. They seek her wisdom as they ask for advice or share with her what they are doing at work, school or socially. Grandma listens attentively, asking the questions about a new job or adventure, especially if it involves traveling. I love to say several of my nieces inherited her “passport gene.” She loves to share the experiences of her younger days, bringing her memories to life again through a story. Grandma loves the little ones, watching them grow up, speaking their first words or taking those first steps; she notices it all.

Mom, grandma, is 91, yet you would never know it by her social life. Attending Eucharist and Liturgy of the Hours every day, followed by coffee with friends, a game of bridge or attending her monthly book club, it can be hard to find her at home. I learned from my mom the importance of prayer. Liturgy of the Hours and Eucharist are the foundation of my life as a Benedictine sister. 

If you would like more information about Saint Benedict’s Monastery, please contact Sister Lisa Rose at lrose@csbsju.edu.

Lisa Rose, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment