Tuesday, July 2, 2019

January to July

Photo: Carleen Schomer, OSB
Do you remember how cold it was this past January? When you looked at the thermometer and it read 30 degrees below zero? No matter how many layers of clothes I put on during those cold days to walk outside, the cold was bitter, biting through to my skin. I was glad the time I needed to be outside was only to get to another building. As I listened to the news one evening, it appeared that the whole state of Minnesota shut down during those cold days. Then, a few days later, it warmed up to 18 degrees above zero, 50 degrees warmer. 

So now here we are in July; the grass is green, the vegetables are being harvested and the cold days of January are only a memory. At Saint Benedict’s Monastery, July is full of retreats and celebrations. This year, we have one woman making her perpetual profession on July 11. I treasure the memories of my own perpetual profession. The community, along with my family and friends gathered around me in the chapel as I read and signed my profession document. This was followed by a festive meal in our dining room. During July, we will also celebrate the 50th jubilee of three sisters. It is truly a month of joyful memories for our community.

If you would like more information about Saint Benedict’s Monastery, please contact Sister Lisa Rose at lrose@csbsju.edu.

Lisa Rose, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment