Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Hope in Advent


In the prophet Isaiah, chapter 11:1 we read, “A shoot shall come from the stump of Jesse, and a branch shall from out of his roots.” In this, one verse is the message of both death and life. For me it speaks of hope. Advent is the season, at least in Minnesota, when day light is shorter and dark nights are longer. Every year, the early darkness is a stark reality for me to embrace. I have to remember that it will not be this dark forever. With that in mind, as I yearn for longer days, I wait through the season of Advent, for the birth of Jesus, Jesus who is the new life, the sprout, from the stump of Jesse. As we gather in prayer for Liturgy of the Hours and Eucharist, the readings from Isaiah encourage me. They give me hope, knowing that I will celebrate Jesus’ birth once again as was predicted by the prophet Isaiah. If you would like more information about Saint Benedict’s Monastery, please contact Sister Lisa Rose at lrose@csbsju.edu.

 

Lisa Rose, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment