Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Eloise at Five Years Old!


My little neighbor friend turned five. She invited me for her birthday party. She was excited to turn five this summer and proudly beamed she would be going to kindergarten. Eloise is a very precocious, intense and playful five year old. She’s a delight to be with and I have learned so much from her.  Most of us really need a five-year-old friend to keep us grounded in life.

(Photo of Eloise's picture by Trish Dick, OSB)
Yesterday she gave me one of her drawings. She was befuddled about how to draw a five so her mom drew a five on the paper so she could trace it. She made a grand picture for me but decided the five wasn’t how she liked it, so she started over and made her five and then quickly realized her name wouldn’t fit on the page. No problem -- she would write the rest of the letters to her name below.  She proudly gave it to me to hang on my refrigerator.

Eloise taught me that there is beauty in our imperfection. Actually, there is an abundance of life in not getting things right. What mattered the most was her generosity and purity heart in giving this gift. There was no shame in her letters below the five and that is exactly where they needed to be. I mean where else would you put the letters when there is plenty of room there? 

Every day for the Benedictine way of life is a turning – a conversion of our heart. Let us cast our imperfections upon the Everlasting love of God and enjoy the beauty of grace. This is true holiness and purity of heart. Embrace the life of conversion – finding beauty in imperfection and adapt the letters of your life where needed.

 

Trish Dick, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment