Thursday, July 4, 2013

Freedom

My blog is a bit late this week, which means it's Fourth of July as I'm writing it. That makes me think. And it makes me grateful. I'm so grateful to experience living in freedom and all the things that go with that. It is a gift to be able to hold and express opinions without fear of being tortured or imprisoned. It is a gift to know that I can live in harmony alongside others who maybe don't think quite the same way that I do because, beyond our differences, is a commitment to the right of everyone to have freedom of speech.

I'm conscious, though, that rights come with duties. I'm conscious, too, that I have a duty to support those who don't live in the same freedom that I enjoy. I maybe can't change the world, but I can try to play some part. So, today, I'm thanking God for my freedom and praying for all those people throughout the world who live under oppression, and for all those who strive to promote justice and peace.

Karen Rose, OSB

PS The monastery  blog next week will be published on Weds.

No comments:

Post a Comment